• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Microsoft Spying On Me!

#1 User is offline   willtee 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Request DMCA Takedown Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:24 AM

Hi folks.

I'm a bit worried because a pop-up message appeared on my pc desktop a few hours ago informing me Microsoft was trying to enter my "Host File" App. :o

The only reason they did not succeed was because they did not manage to discover which folder the app was in. But it's concerning me to know that they knew I had the app in the first place. I've no idea how they managed to discover I had the program or if they have installed any spyware in my PC now.

If anyone could offer some advice or comment on this fiasco I would, I can assure you, be enormously and gratefully thankful.
I'm using my laptop just now instead of the desktop pc, but it's still a worry for me. Or am I just a bit panicky.

Cheers and thank you guys in advance, for any comments received. :)

willtee

#2 User is offline   twisted2382 

• A TWISTED VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Request DMCA Takedown Posted 10 July 2019 - 05:33 PM

a host file in windows is part of the OS what it does when you type anything into your computer like a web address the host file turns it into a web address or a numerical code so there is not a problem with microsoft looking for it.

twisted
<!--coloro:#FF0000--><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:5--><!--/sizeo--><!--fonto:Century Gothic--><!--/fonto-->STAYING AS DETSIWT AS I CAN<!--fontc--><!--/fontc--><!--sizec--><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

#3 User is offline   PuZo 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Request DMCA Takedown Posted 10 July 2019 - 05:43 PM

I agree with twisted2382 but I don't think anyone should be looking into it.
If you can post a screenshot of that notice, that will be great.

#4 User is offline   genocide 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Request DMCA Takedown Posted 10 July 2019 - 05:53 PM

As stated the host file is part of Windows and Microsoft would know exactly where its located since its in the same location since at least Windows XP but they have no reason to mess with it.

That said your desktop as "scareware" on it which caused the pop-up, I would suggest scanning with Malwarebytes Anti-malware, Super anti-spyware along with maybe a online virus scan from Eset to make sure its clean

#5 User is offline   twisted2382 

• A TWISTED VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Request DMCA Takedown Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:48 PM

hey did some quick research and found this

https://finance.yaho...-155030957.html

The trojan uses tools already in windows to do its dirty work so it wont be detected

contact microsoft and see if they have a fix for it or a scan and removal tool

twisted
<!--coloro:#FF0000--><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:5--><!--/sizeo--><!--fonto:Century Gothic--><!--/fonto-->STAYING AS DETSIWT AS I CAN<!--fontc--><!--/fontc--><!--sizec--><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

#6 User is offline   willtee 

• PipPip

Request DMCA Takedown Posted 12 July 2019 - 11:54 PM

twisted2382, PuZo, genocide. Appreciate you taking time out to reply with your knowledge.

I failed to mention, and I should have, that it was AVG that alerted me with the pop-up panel stating Microsft were attempting to enter my Host File and that they (AVG) blocked them.
I never thought of taking a snapshot of the pop-up alert. I normally do take snapshots of any warning pop-ups, I guess I was a bit shocked to discover the invasion. It's the first time that I'm aware of, that Microsoft would want to invade my privacy. (Anyones privacy)

Good on AVG, but it's still a bit of a worry. :unsure:

Thank you again, so much appreciated. :)

Regards.
willtee.

This post has been edited by willtee: 12 July 2019 - 11:58 PM
Reason for edit: ''

#7 User is offline   Excalibur181 

• Pip

Request DMCA Takedown Posted 07 August 2019 - 10:40 AM

Don't clean it. Don't remove it. Don't look for it. Just backup your files as best you can and clean install. Done.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic